The date of when the church was built in Unknown. It began a a chapel of rest for those on the Herring trail which was used by people bringing home a stock of salted herring for winter use and also by fishwives carrying huge creels of herring from Dunbar to the markets in Lauder. The church was also used by pilgrims on their way to Iona. The church is located close to the Holy St Johns well which may also be a reason for visiting Spott Church.
The Church has seen many changes and survived the reformation, the burning of witches and battles of Dunbar in 1296 and 1650.
Further reading of the history of the church and its ministers can be found on a leaflet entitled `600 Years of History` within the church.